Help! I hear this all too often — “Why am I not losing weight in Cycle 1?” Good question! Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet after all is the Accelerate cycle, so you’d think with a name like that you’d lose a ton of weight.
It’s not uncommon to only lose 5-7 pounds during Cycle 1. However, some people do find they get discouraged when only losing this amount of weight when they’ve been led to believe they’d lose in excess of 15 pounds.
First, it’s OK — celebrate your weight loss regardless of the amount. You’re taking the first step to a healthier you! It’s not going to happen overnight (besides, did you gain those 20 pounds in a week? No!).
Sure, Cycle 1 is about losing weight at a rapid pace. However, Cycle 1 is also about detox, clearing your body of harmful toxins and basically preparing your body for weight loss.
If you do find that your weight loss has stalled in Cycle 1, you can take a look at a few areas to make sure you’re doing all that you can to maximize your weight loss:
1. Make sure you are eating enough food! I can’t tell you how many times I hear that someone is not losing weight and they’ve stopped eating a large portion of veggies and lean proteins because they just aren’t that hungry. If you reduce your veggie/protein intake, you may slow down your weight loss. Remember, in Cycle 1 you are allowed liberal amounts of approved veggies and lean protein, so eat up!
2. Make sure you’re drinking enough water! I also run across this issue — not drinking enough water. It sounds counterintuitive, but you have to drink more water to lose more weight. Drinking water also helps flush out toxins, keeps your digestive track moving (think constipation), and helps with other side benefits such as glowing, hydrated skin!
3. Add exercise to your routine. If you want to ramp up your weight loss, hit the road (or the treadmill). Remember, during Cycle 1 you are allowed at least 17 minutes of moderate exercise.
4. Switch up your menu! Look, your body might be getting tired of the same old salad every day. Have fun with your meal plans, introduce new veggies into your diet and truly enjoy meal time!
5. When all else fails, consider a cheat day. Now, I have to say that the “cheat day” is not part of the 17 Day Diet, but I’ve used this technique many times. It’s no secret that your body gets used to the amount of calories you consume every day (that’s why we have Cycle 2) and sometimes your body needs a break from the same old thing. A cheat day might cause you to gain a few pounds, but you’ll start to see the pounds melt away again.
Remember, it’s very important to be fully aware of what you are eating, how much you are eating and to celebrate every pound you lose! I highly recommend that you keep a daily food journal so you are completely aware of what you’re putting into your body. It’s also helpful to go back and review your eating pattern when the weight stops coming off so easily so you can quickly fix the issue.
Do you need a little extra help? Check out My Weight Loss Success Kit – it will save you time, keep you motivated and help you lose weight and get healthy!