Who says eating healthy has to be boring?
When it comes to food on the 17 Day Diet and losing weight, you can surely keep it simple, yet delicious!
I’m all about keeping things simple in the kitchen – simple can be full of flavor. It doesn’t need to be super complicated, right?
Say goodbye to plain chicken breasts, and hello to YUMMY food!
That’s what this Mediterranean Chicken recipe is all about!
And remember, when you kick up the flavors a few notches, you’re no longer making two separate dinners at meal time.
When you get creative and think outside the box, you’re going to bring a healthy meal to the dinner table that everyone will enjoy, even if you’re the only person on a diet!
This savory Mediterranean inspired dish is full of flavors the entire family will absolutely love.
Now you won’t necessarily see olives or capers on any cycle food lists, but when using common sense, you’ll know that these tasty ingredients, based on the healthy Mediterranean way of eating, will be fine in moderation. Enjoy!
If you make this dish, please come back and share your review of it. I’d love to hear from you!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 16 oz container of fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 Roma tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 Cup of cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet.
- Cook for about 6 to 7 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining olive oil to pan. Add sliced mushrooms to pan with a bit of salt and pepper. Saute mushrooms until they start to soften, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add shallots to pan and saute for about a minute.
- Next, add garlic to pan and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth to pan and allow to come to a simmer.
- Next, add in olives, capers, Roma tomatoes and chicken. Uncovered, allow chicken mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Towards the end of cooking, add in the halved cherry tomatoes and allow them to warm through, without cooking too long.
- Top with shredded parmesan.
Serve with your favorite vegetables or salad.
Approved for all cycles