Whether you are starting the 17 Day Diet for the first time or you are needing a refresher course to start over after a long winter, there’s always something new to learn about Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet.
Here is your Beginner’s Guide & Quick Overview of Cycle 1.
Cycle 1 is the Accelerate Cycle
Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet is also known as the “Accelerate Cycle”. The primary purpose of Cycle 1 is to experience rapid weight loss, which helps flush sugar and fat storage from your system.
Think of Cycle 1 as the “cleansing” cycle releasing toxins from your body.
Quick Overview of Cycle 1
During Cycle 1, you will eliminate most carbohydrates with the exception of some low-sugar fruits and you will eliminate sugar all together.
You’ll enjoy generous amounts of lean proteins such as chicken, turkey and some fish and various low-glycemic index vegetables as well as probiotics to help promote a healthy digestive system.
Cycle 1 Recap
Here’s a quick recap of Cycle 1 to get you started:
- Wake Up Drink: Within a half hour of waking, drink hot lemon water to get your digestive juices flowing.
- Green Tea: Drink green tea with most of your meals– Green tea is full of anti-oxidants and helps promote weight loss.
- Water: Drink at least eight 8-oz glasses of plain water every day. If you can drink more, the better!
- Eat generous amounts of lean protein and certain veggies.
- Consume two servings of probiotics per day.
- Eat two servings of fresh low-sugar fruit by 2pm (only fruits from the approved list).
- Friendly Fats: Use 1 to 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil or Flax Seed Oil per day.
- No sugar is allowed
- No alcohol is allowed
- Light exercise for 17 minutes each day
- Only stay on Cycle 1 for 17 Days — not a day longer!
Cycle 1 is only meant to be used for 17 days and no longer. If you reach your weight loss goal after Cycle 1, continue onto Cycle 4.
What If I Still Have Weight to Lose After Cycle 1?
If you still have weight to lose by the time you’re finished with Cycle 1, you are encouraged to move along to Cycle 2 and finish through Cycle 3 before returning to a previous Cycle to continue to lose additional weight.
Staying on Cycle 1 for too long may result in a sluggish metabolism as your body will get used to eating the same way or a long period of time.
Any questions? Visit our 17 Day Diet FAQ section.
What About the Other Cycles of the 17 Day Diet?
If you’re looking for a step-by-step overview of the entire 17 Day Diet, you can review that well.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. As you know, your health & wellness is a life-long journey and food is one piece of the puzzle. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, making gemstone & crystal bracelets over at my Vixy Fae Etsy shop, and helping you achieve better health through nature with my other love, Busy Bee’s Wellness Co.