This Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole recipe was a huge hit when I featured it in a previous C1 Challenge. This recipe is a healthier version of the traditional cabbage roll recipe that we all loved as a kid and it’s perfect if you’re losing weight with the 17 Day Diet.
When I was younger, maybe in grade school, I remember my mom making the traditional cabbage rolls with ground beef and rice.
They were good, but the strange thing that I recall is that she was really into canning at the time.
So after she made the rolls, she canned them! I don’t remember eating the canned version, but whatever I did eat, I loved.
I’ve never made cabbage rolls myself – they seem sort of labor intensive.
This casserole, however, is super quick and easy!
If you’re on Cycle 2 or 3, you’re always welcome to add in cooked rice and/or use ground beef to make it more traditional.
However, if you’re on Cycle 1, let’s stick to what we have here and you’ll be eating a low-carb dinner!
Photo Courtesy of Cari G. Follow Cari on Instagram.
It’s acceptable for all cycles of the 17 Day Diet and is super easy to make (much easier than the traditional recipe).
- 1 pound Ground Lean Turkey (or chicken)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 15 ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Small Head Small Green Cabbage - chopped
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 Cup Low-fat Mozzarella Cheese
- Salt/Pepper To Taste
- 1 Cup Riced Cauliflower, cooked
- In large pot or pan, over medium high heat, brown turkey with olive oil and onions.
- Reduce heat to medium; add garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper and stir until well combined.
- Add diced tomatoes and water to mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 7 to 10 minutes.
- While mixture is cooking, prepare the cooked riced cauliflower. In a food processor or with a grater, rice your cauliflower into rice-sized pieces. Use enough cauliflower to yield 1 cup riced.
- In an un-oiled pan over medium heat, cook the cauliflower until all moisture is gone, about 6-8 minutes. Set aside.
- When your meat mixture is finished cooking, cooked riced cauliflower to pot and let flavors marry for a minute or two.
- Top with cheese and cover 1-2 minutes to melt.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Approved all cycles.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. As you know, your health & wellness is a life-long journey and food is one piece of the puzzle. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, helping you with your anti-aging & skincare needs over at my Avon store (come say hi!!), and helping you achieve better health through nature with my other love, Busy Bee’s Wellness Co.