If you’re looking for a low-sugar homemade Cycle 1 Cranberry Sauce that’s perfect for your next holiday meal, plus one that’s 17 Day Diet friendly, look no further!
This recipe is super easy and the longest part of the entire process is letting it cool!
I never seem to find fresh cranberries year round – I usually see them in the stores during the holidays.
I will stock up with several bags of cranberries and put them in the freezer to make this sauce year-round (it’s really good mixed in with your plain yogurt, by the way).
In this recipe, you’re using the natural sweetness of fruit (and their juices). I always love adding the zest of fruit to a recipe as it adds in an extra layer of flavor!
Do yourself and your family a favor this holiday season and ditch the high fructose sugary cranberry sauce and make your own!
I promise it’s really easy!
I appropriately named this recipe Cycle 1 Cranberry Sauce because it’s perfect for Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet.
Other Holiday Side Dish Recipes
If you enjoy this recipe, you may want to try my other healthy holiday side dish recipes.
- Roasted Acorn Squash
- Mock Mashed Potatoes (Cauliflower)
- Roasted Carrots
- Sauteed Green Beans with Crimini Mushrooms
These recipes are featured in my Healthy Holiday Menu with Recipes.
- 2 12 oz bags of fresh cranberries
- ¾ cup orange juice (use juice from orange if you can)
- ½ cup of applesauce (no sugar added)
- ½ cup of water
- Juice and zest of one orange
- Stevia to taste (optional)
- Place cranberries, orange juice, applesauce and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Keep on medium heat, stirring occasionally until the cranberries are cooked through and start breaking apart (about 10 minutes).
- Reduce to a simmer and pour the remaining juice and zest of the orange over the cranberry mixture.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes and remove from heat.
- Cool completely to room temperature and place in air-tight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
Approved all cycles.
If you prefer a sweeter sauce, add more Stevia to taste (when it’s ready to cool off).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. As you know, your health & wellness is a life-long journey and food is one piece of the puzzle. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, helping you with your anti-aging & skincare needs over at my Avon store (come say hi!!), and helping you achieve better health through nature with my other love, Busy Bee’s Wellness Co.