If you’re looking to add more plant-based meals into your lunch or dinner rotation, even when you’re looking to lose weight, this Chickpea, Cauliflower & Quinoa Power Bowl is a perfect balance of plant powered fiber and protein to keep you fuller longer.
This recipe comes straight out of my A Simple 17 Day Kickstart Diet Meal Plan.
This meal plan uses a combo of plant-based, fish and some meats such as poultry, beef and pork that take you through Dr. Moreno’s brand new 17 Day Kickstart Diet (this is a new diet based on the original).
If you’re on the 17 Day Kickstart Diet or starting it for the first time, this particular recipe is perfect for all phases.
If you happen to be on the 17 Day Diet, you can use this starting on Cycle 2 (before 2pm).
Keep reading as I’ll let you know what changes need to be made if you want to have this recipe on Cycle 1.
Ingredients for the Plant Based Chickpea, Cauliflower & Quinoa Power Bowl
By the title of the recipe, it might seem obvious what the ingredients are in this power bowl. Here they are:
- Red Bell Pepper
- Vegetable broth (or water)
There is a light balsamic vinaigrette dressing and you’ll find all the ingredients in the recipe card below!
Plant Based Alternative Ingredients
If you’re not a fan of certain ingredients, feel free to switch things up a bit. Here are a few ideas to get you started. You can either substitute or add to:
Legumes for Protein and Fiber
If you’d prefer a different legume than chickpeas, here are a few other plant-based alternatives:
- White Beans
- Dried Peas
Vegetables for Added Fiber
If you’re not a fan of cauliflower, or if you prefer to use other vegetables in addition to cauliflower, here are a few 17 Day Kickstart Diet approved low-starch vegetables available in all phases:
- Brussels Sprouts
- Green Beans
Plant-Based Complete Proteins
If you’re not a fan of quinoa, try these other plant-based complete proteins to use instead:
- Buckwheat (starting on the 10-Day Stabilize Phase)
- Hemp Seeds
Plant-based “complete proteins” are those foods that contain all nine essential amino acids. The foods listed above are a few examples of complete proteins that are plant-based.
Animal Based Protein Sources for Power Bowl
If you’re not a fan of chickpeas or quinoa and want to add a few animal-based proteins to this recipe, here are a few ideas that are approved for all phases of the 17 Day Kickstart Diet:
- Fish low in mercury such as sardines, wild salmon, Atlantic Mackerel
Animal Based Proteins for 10-Day Stabilize Phase
Here are a few more ideas for animal based proteins to use in this power bowl starting on day 10 of the Kickstart Diet:
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed in each phase of the Kickstart Diet, make sure you take a peek at my very organized 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List for all the info you need to get started!
17 Day Diet Power Bowl
If you’re on the original 17 Day Diet, you can use this Chickpea, Cauliflower & Quinoa Power bowl starting on Cycle 2.
Since this recipe contains protein and fiber that contains higher starch, you’ll want to make sure you eat this before 2pm while on the 17 Day Diet.
The dressing includes honey, so to make this 100% compliant for the 17 Day Diet, make sure you use approved sweetener (Stevia) rather than honey.
If you want to make this more friendly for Cycle 1, then you’ll need to substitute a few ingredients.
If you need a complete food list for Cycle 2, make sure you take a look at my 17 Day Diet Cycle 2 Food List.
17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Friendly Power Bowl
If you want to have a power bowl cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet, you’ll want to skip the chickpeas and quinoa.
Here are a few ways to make this more cycle 1 friendly:
- Use chicken, turkey or fish as your main protein (to replace chickpeas and quinoa)
- Add more fiber-rich vegetables for an added boost (broccoli, green beans, mushrooms, etc)
You’ll also want to exclude the honey in the dressing and use Stevia instead.
If you need a refresher of which foods are allowed on cycle 1, take a look at my 17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Food List for more of a complete food list.
You can also check out my book on Amazon called Fast Track Your Weight Loss With the 17 Day Diet which has all the food lists (and a 7 day meal plan, too!).
Other Plant Based 17 Day Kickstart Diet Recipes
If you’re on the 17 Day Kickstart Diet and you’re looking for more plant-based recipes, make sure you take a look at my A Simple 17 Day Kickstart Diet Meal Plan or browse the following recipes:
- Chickpea Sweet Potato & Spinach Curry
- Kickstart Detox Salad
- Tofu and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Roasted Tomato & Barley Soup
- Banana Protein “Nice” Cream
- Breakfast Chia Pudding
- 90 Second Low Carb Keto Bread
- Homemade Almond Milk
- Healthy Homemade Granola
- Roasted Acorn Squash
If you happen to make this Chickpea, Cauliflower & Quinoa Power Bowl, make sure you come back to rate the recipe card. If you’re on social media, make sure you tag me @17ddblog so I can see your power bowl creation!
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed well and patted dry
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 3 cups)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
- Add the rinsed and dried chickpeas, cauliflower florets, bell pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil to the sheet pan. Season
with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Roast chickpea and veggie mixture for 25 to 30 minutes tossing ingredients half way. Bake until chickpeas are browned and tender and vegetables are cooked through.
- While baking, make the quinoa.
- Thoroughly rinse quinoa before cooking. Add rinsed quinoa to a pot with vegetable broth (or water), add a bit of salt and pepper to season, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Once quinoa is finished cooking, remove from heat, keep covered and let it cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make your dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Cover and set aside.
- To assemble bowls: Add a few tablespoons of balsamic dressing to
quinoa to give it a boost in flavor (you can add more dressing to taste - the remainder is a drizzle over the top).
- Evenly divide cooked quinoa into four bowls. Top with chickpea and veggie mixture and drizzle with a bit of balsamic dressing.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
17 Day Kickstart Diet - all phases
17 Day Diet - starting on Cycle 2 (use approved sweetener instead of honey). If you want to use for Cycle 1, omit the chickpeas and quinoa and use approved protein instead. Make sure you use approved sweetner instead of honey.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)