When you need comfort food without all the extra calories, it’s always a safe bet to reach for a warm soup such as this incredible Roasted Tomato & Barley Soup, especially when it’s cold out!
Filled with plant-based protein and sweetness from the lovely roasted tomatoes, you cannot go wrong with this Roasted Tomato & Barley Soup!
This yummy soup actually comes from my new mini plant-based recipe book called Plant Power (it can be ordered when you purchase my other vegetarian recipe book called Greens & Things).
Keep reading as I’ll give you the rundown of which phase/cycle this soup is approved for each diet.
Ingredients for the Roasted Tomato & Barley Soup
Here’s a rough idea of the various ingredients you’ll need to gather for this soup:
- Small tomatoes (plum or roma)
- vegetable stock
- fresh thyme
- coconut sugar
- sriracha sauce
Roasted Chickpeas as Healthy “Croutons”
One of my favorite ingredients for this recipe is the chickpeas! They don’t go inside the soup, but rather roasted and served as a healthy version of “croutons” on top of your soup!
When you roast chickpeas, they have such a lovely, nutty flavor and add such a great texture to this soup!
Don’t skip this step as you’ll likely be missing out on the best part of this yummy soup!
Roasted Tomato & Barley Soup for the 17 Day Kickstart Diet
You might be aware that Dr. Mike created a brand new, plant forward diet called the 17 Day Kickstart Diet. It’s based on the original 17 Day Diet and is focused on getting more greens and fish and plant based proteins in (it’s definitely not a vegetarian diet as chicken, beef, pork and shellfish are also allowed).
This Roasted Tomato & Barley Soup is definitely plant-forward and it’s ideal for the 10-Day Stabilize Phase of the Kickstart Diet when grains such as barley is introduced.
If you wish to use this recipe in an earlier phase such as the Scrub or Soak Up Phases, then you’d need to omit the barley.
If you’re not sure of the approved foods for each phase, make sure you take a peek at the 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List.
Roasted Tomato & Barley Soup for the 17 Day Diet
If you’re on the 17 Day Diet, then you too can enjoy this lovely soup!
This recipe is approved for Cycles 2 and 3 of the 17 Day Diet and would make the perfect lunch as natural starches should be eaten by 2pm on the 17 Day Diet.
Also, make sure you use approved sweetener (i.e. stevia or monk fruit) or you can omit it all together depending on how sweet the tomatoes roast up!
If you don’t have any barley on hand, no worries! Here are a few substitutions you may use:
During the Stabilize Phase of the Kickstart Diet, consider using:
- Quinoa (this won’t be as “hearty”, but it will still work and provides extra protein)
- Brown Rice
If you’re on the 17 Day Diet, you may use the following:
- Brown Rice
- Long grain rice (such as Basmati)
The starches listed above may be used during Cycles 2 and 3 of the 17 Day Diet.
Protein Boosts To Add To Soup
If you want to add a bit of plant-based protein to your soup, consider adding the following:
- White Beans
- Soy Beans
The sky is the limit when it comes to adding in extra protein into this lovely soup, so make it your own!
Other Soup Recipes For Weight Loss
If you’re looking for other soup recipes for the cooler weather that will help you with your weight loss goals, give these a quick look:
- Carrot and Apple Soup
- Middle Eastern Turkey and Carrot Stew
- MaryPat’s Creamy Apple, Carrot & Cauliflower Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Chili Con Carne with Beans
- Butternut Squash Soup
If you make this Roasted Tomato & Barley soup recipe, I’d love for you to come back and review the recipe card below. Plus, if you’re on social media, tag me @17ddblog and show me your soup!
- 4 lbs. small tomatoes (plum or roma)
- 3/4 cup uncooked barley
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. coconut sugar
- salt & pepper
Spicy Chickpea Croutons:
- 14 oz. canned chickpeas
- 10 drops sriracha sauce or a few sprinkles of sriracha seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the tomatoes in half or quarters and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and bake in the oven for 35 minutes until soft.
- While the tomatoes are baking, prepare the barley by placing it in a colander and rinsing it under cold running water. Place the barley into a saucepan and cover with water until 1-inch above the barley. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer uncovered for 35 minutes.
- Drain the chickpeas and place them on a baking sheet. Toss them with sriracha sauce and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place the tray into the oven and bake the chickpeas for the last 10 minutes of the tomato cooking time.
- Sauté the onion, crushed garlic, and thyme in a large soup pan. Add in 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and sauté until the onions become translucent. Pour in ¼ of the whole roasted tomatoes and stir well.
- Place the remaining tomatoes into a blender and blitz to smooth and pour into the soup. Add in the drained barley, chopped parsley, vegetable stock, coconut sugar and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Mix well to combine, bring to a boil and turn the heat down and allow to simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Serve the soup in bowls, topped with chickpea croutons.
17 Day Kickstart Diet - Stabilize Phase (omit barley if you want to use this recipe in the Scrub or Soak Up Phases).
17 Day Diet - Cycles 2 and 3 (use approved sweetener)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)