There’s nothing like a homemade tomato soup. Especially when you’re trying to lose weight on the 17 Day Diet.
Tomatoes to Use for Your Homemade Soup
You can use any type of tomatoes you want. For this recipe, we use beefsteak tomatoes. However, you can use Roma tomatoes, or a few hands full of grape or cherry tomatoes.
Use what you have, or use what you enjoy most.
The secret to a yummy tasting homemade tomato soup is the roasting process!
If you can stay away from canned tomatoes and roast your own, you’ll get a very deep, smokey flavor that’s hard to find anywhere else!
Homemade Tomato Soup For Everyday Meals
Tomato soup is one of those comfort meals without all the guilt. Pair this with a nice green salad, and you have yourself a healthy alternative to the usual sandwich pairing.
Here are a few salad ideas to serve with your homemade tomato soup:
- Grapefruit & Avocado Salad with Shrimp
- Salad in a Jar (Quinoa, Mushrooms, Tomatoes & Spinach
- Spicy Thai Cucumber Salad
Homemade Tomato Soup for Your Starter
You can also use this homemade tomato soup for your holiday meal or as a starter soup for your regular dinner rotation – it’s an easy way to get in a ton of fiber so you don’t overeat at dinner (or lunch!).
Here are a few dinner ideas you can serve alongside your homemade tomato soup:
Other 17 Day Diet Soups To Try
If you enjoy this Homemade Tomato Soup recipe, you may want to check out my other 17 Day Diet Soup recipes, including a few stews and chili recipes, for good measure:
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Roasted Tomato & Barley Soup
- Middle Eastern Turkey and Carrot Stew
- Turkey Cilantro Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup (Slow Cooker)
- Chili Con Carne with Beans
- MaryPat’s Creamy Apple, Carrot & Cauliflower Soup
- Carrot & Apple Soup
If you make this soup recipe, I’d love for you to come back and review the recipe card below. Plus, if you’re on social media, tag me @17ddblog and show me your soup!
- 2-3 Beefsteak Tomatoes (or your favorite type of tomato)
- Non-fat, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 garlic clove, roasted
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fat free sour cream, optional
- Basil or parley, for garnish
- Broil the tomatoes and garlic for 5-10 minutes in your oven's top rack until the skin blackens.
- Place the tomatoes into a saucepot with enough broth to cover.
- Bring the tomatoes and broth to a boil and add the roasted
garlic. With an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once off heat, add fat-free sour cream on top, if desired.
Approved for all cycles.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)