If you’re on Cycles 2 or 3 of the 17 Day Diet and you’re looking for a savory Butternut Squash Soup for your holiday meal, this recipe is the one you must try!
If you’re looking for a low-carb soup that’s similar, but uses apples and carrots instead of squash, check out my Carrot & Apple Soup.
This Butternut Squash Soup and my Carrot & Apple Soup are both featured in my Healthy Holiday Menu with Recipes.
Now if you have extra pumpkins lying around and you’d rather use them instead of butternut squash, the result will still be the same – amazing!
I love the fall season with all the different varieties of squash and pumpkin. This is what butternut squash looks like in the store:
You can buy your squash whole and de-seed and chop it up, or if you’re like me and like to buy the pre-diced squash in the bag, this will save you some time.
Either way, you’re going to have a yummy and savory soup when you follow this recipe!
This is a super simple, super delicious starter soup for your healthy holiday meal!
This recipe is approved for Cycle 2 and 3 of the 17 Day Diet. Enjoy!
Other Holiday Side Dish Recipes
If you enjoy this recipe, you may want to try my other healthy holiday side dish recipes.
- Mock Mashed Potatoes (Cauliflower)
- Roasted Acorn Squash
- Roasted Carrots
- Sauteed Green Beans with Crimini Mushrooms
- Cycle 1 Cranberry Sauce
These recipes are featured in my Healthy Holiday Menu with Recipes.
Other 17 Day Diet Soups To Try
If you enjoy this Butternut Squash Soup recipe, you may want to check out my other 17 Day Diet Soup recipes, including a few stews and chili recipes, for good measure:
- Carrot and Apple Soup
- Middle Eastern Turkey and Carrot Stew
- Turkey Cilantro Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Chili Con Carne with Beans
- MaryPat’s Creamy Apple, Carrot & Cauliflower Soup
If you make this soup recipe, I’d love for you to come back and review the recipe card below. Plus, if you’re on social media, tag me @17ddblog and show me your soup!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot , diced
- 1 celery stalk , diced
- 1 onion , diced
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash , fresh or frozen (use pumpkin instead if you desire)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Add carrot, celery and onion. Cook until vegetables start to soften and onion turns translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, thyme, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender and serve.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, allow soup to cool slightly, and use regular blender to puree soup in small batches.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, My Lil’ Food Journal for The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)