If you’re looking for a low carb alternative soup for the holidays (or any time of the year), here’s a yummy Carrot & Apple Soup perfect for the 17 Day Diet!
If you don’t mind a starchier soup, make sure you check out my Butternut Squash Soup as well!
Both this soup and my butternut squash soup recipe are featured in my Healthy Holiday Menu with Recipes.
When I first featured this dish in a past C1 Challenge, there were a few raised eye brows!
The recipe was initially met with some hesitation due to the ingredients (apples and carrots!!), but after participants tried the concoction, they were blown away!
When I made this recipe, I used a Granny Smith Apple.
You can definitely experiment with your flavors, so if you want to use a Honeycrisp for extra sweetness, then by all means try it!
Where cumin is listed, feel free to substitute with your own favorite spice such as cinnamon, ginger or something entirely different!
The sky really is the limit with this recipe – make it your own with spices and different types of apples!
If you mix and match your apples and spices, let me know how it turns out!
This recipe is approved for all cycles.
However, you may want to eat the soup for your lunch as it contains a good amount of fruit. Enjoy!
Side Dish Recipes Perfect for the Holidays
If you enjoy this recipe and you want to make it as your starter soup for your holiday meal, you may want to try my other healthy holiday recipes to serve alongside this dish.
- Rosemary Chicken (or Turkey)
- Mock Mashed Potatoes (Cauliflower)
- Roasted Acorn Squash
- Roasted Carrots
- Sauteed Green Beans with Crimini Mushrooms
- Cycle 1 Cranberry Sauce
These recipes are featured in my Healthy Holiday Menu with Recipes.
Other 17 Day Diet Soups To Try
If you enjoy this Carrot & Apple Soup recipe, you may want to check out my other 17 Day Diet Soup recipes, including a few stews and chili recipes, for good measure:
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Middle Eastern Turkey and Carrot Stew
- Turkey Cilantro Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Chili Con Carne with Beans
- MaryPat’s Creamy Apple, Carrot & Cauliflower Soup
If you make this soup recipe, I’d love for you to come back and review the recipe card below. Plus, if you’re on social media, tag me @17ddblog and show me your soup!
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium, non-fat vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or your favorite spice)
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped chives or parsley, as garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add apple and carrots and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and cumin; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the apples and carrots are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and puree with an immersion blender or, in batches, in a blender.
- Season soup with salt and pepper. Garnish with chives or parsley and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. As you know, your health & wellness is a life-long journey and food is one piece of the puzzle. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, helping you with your anti-aging & skincare needs over at my Avon store (come say hi!!), and helping you achieve better health through nature with my other love, Busy Bee’s Wellness Co.