If you’re looking for a low carb meatball stroganoff recipe that’s not only tasty, but filled with better-for-you ingredients that won’t derail you from your weight loss goals, then you must try this yummy Chicken Meatball Stroganoff.
This delicious stroganoff recipe comes directly from my Feast Fall Cycle 1 Meal Plan that we use for our cycle 1 challenge (this is a seasonal plan that’s only available for a few months each year).
It was a huge hit, so I thought I’d share it with the world!
This particular stroganoff recipe is served over low carb mashed cauliflower, so you feel like you are getting the real thing without all the extra carbs and calories from regular mashed potatoes.
Plus, this is a yummy dinner that your entire family can get on board with, too!
If your family members aren’t into mashed cauliflower, you can serve their helpings with regular mashed potatoes or a more traditional route with egg noodles!
Chicken Meatball Stroganoff Ingredients
Like most of my low carb recipes, this one is simple to make. It only includes a few key ingredients, which many you might already have on hand:
- ground, lean chicken (or turkey)
- white onion
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Parmesan Cheese
- sliced mushrooms
- chicken broth
- sour cream
You’ll notice that the ingredients above do NOT include breadcrumbs for the meatballs. We’re keeping this low carb, so we’ll use a little parmesan cheese to bind the ingredients together.
If you don’t want to serve meatballs, simply brown your ground meat (I’d skip the Parmesan Cheese as you won’t need it), and make yourself a yummy meat sauce!
Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
Traditionally, stroganoff is made with beef (usually a sirloin or other cut of meat) and it’s usually served over noodles.
If you’re not a fan of ground chicken, you can certainly use ground beef if you’d like.
Here are a few other recommendations of other proteins you can use instead of chicken:
- Ground beef
- Ground turkey
- Ground lamb
- Ground pork
You can also use a combo of any of the above – you can easily do a half beef and half pork meatball that will give the dish an extra richness to it!
How to Serve Low Carb Stroganoff
While this particular recipe calls for serving your meatballs and sauce over mashed cauliflower, the sky is the limit on how you decide to serve this sauce.
If you’re not going the low carb route, you can easily use real mashed potatoes or your favorite pasta (egg noodles would work best).
You can also serve this over white or brown rice, depending on your preference.
Here’s a recap of what you can use for this recipe:
- mashed cauliflower (per this recipe)
- mashed potatoes
- egg noddles
- white or brown rice
Side Dishes to Serve with Low Carb Stroganoff
My original recipe called for serving this dish with green beans. Green beans are fairly versatile and can be served with most meals.
Here are a few side dishes you can serve with this meal:
- green beans
- small green salad
Low Carb Stroganoff for the 17 Day Diet
If you’re eating low carb on the 17 Day Diet, you can certainly have this yummy low carb Chicken Meatball Stroganoff on all cycles of the diet.
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed when, make sure you check out my 17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Food List for all the info!
You can also check out my book on Amazon called Fast Track Your Weight Loss With the 17 Day Diet which has all the food lists (and a 7 day meal plan, too!).
Can I have stroganoff on the Kickstart Diet?
Yes, you can definitely have this stroganoff recipe while on the 17 Day Kickstart Diet. You can have this dish starting on the 10-Day Stabilize Phase when certain dairy is allowed (cheese and sour cream).
If you want this dish earlier in the diet, you may want to omit the Parmesan Cheese (the meatballs will still be OK without it) and either leave out the sour cream or add in another type of creamy liquid (a touch of coconut milk or unsweetened seed milk).
The sauce is perfectly fine without the creaminess, so try it without!
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed during each phase, make sure you take a look at my 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List.
If you’re on the Keto Diet, this dish can be eaten as is. Depending on your macros, you may want to use a fattier meat such as 80/20 ground beef and full fat sour cream.
Other Low Carb Meatball Recipes
If you enjoy this Chicken Meatball Stroganoff recipe, make sure you check out these other amazing dishes that feature meatballs:
- Greek Turkey Meatballs with Yogurt Tzatziki Sauce
- Healthy Low Carb Turkey Meatballs with Marinara Sauce
- Meatballs with Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
If you enjoy this low carb stroganoff recipe make sure you come back to review the recipe card below. If you’re on social, make sure you tag me @17ddblog so I can see your yummy meal.
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground, lean chicken (or turkey)
- 1 white onion (1/4 of it minced for meatballs and remainder sliced for sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons dried Tarragon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese (not shredded)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
For the sauce:
- 1 small carton sliced mushrooms
- Sliced onion (from the ingredients above)
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Tarragon
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce (or more to taste)
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup low fat sour cream, to taste
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
For mashed cauliflower:
- 2 medium head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoon Sour Cream, or more for desired consistency
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or roasted garlic
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Mix all ingredients (except oil) for meatballs. Form small meatballs. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil.
- Once oil is hot, add meatballs and cook roughly for 2 minutes on each
side (turning a total of 4 times).
- Remove meatballs from the skillet. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add remaining Olive oil and mushrooms, remaining sliced onions and saute until vegetables are soft.
- Add dried tarragon, chicken broth and Worcestershire Sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Add meatballs back into the skillet and continue to simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
- When ready to serve, add in sour cream and warm
- Serve over mashed cauliflower and garnish with chopped parsely (optional for added color).
- Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces.
- Steam cauliflower in a large pot in an inch of water. Steam until fork tender, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Drain cauliflower for a few minutes covered in a colander until very dry.
- In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the sour cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper until almost smooth.
- Add more sour cream to reach desired consistency, if needed.
For the stroganoff:
For the mashed cauliflower:
17 Day Diet - all cycles
17 Day Kickstart Diet - 10-Day Stabilize Phase (see blog for earlier phases)
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)