This Buffalo Chicken Meatballs with Roasted Cabbage and Blue Cheese Dressing recipe was a huge hit with my community.
I featured this super popular 17 Day Diet recipe in a previous Cycle 1 Challenge and also shared this with my Simply17 monthly meal planning members.
This is a perfect flavorful dish for the 17 Day Diet, especially if you’re trying to lose weight.
It can also be eaten for the 17 Day Kickstart Diet and the Keto Diet, so keep reading as I’ll let you know what changes, if any, need to be made to make this recipe compliant.
Usually when I think about buffalo hot sauce flavor, I either think of those deep-fried hot wings I used to order with pizza or watching football games.
Well this recipe is a healthy version of the classic buffalo wings, but in meatball form!
It’s a year-round favorite and is really quite healthy and weight-loss friendly.
Blue Cheese Yogurt Dressing
The spicy buffalo meatballs are paired with a cool yogurt and blue cheese dressing to keep the hot sauce from burning your mouth!
During Cycles 1 and 2 of the 17 Day Diet, “non-fat” cheese is allowed under the condiment section of the 17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Food List to be eaten in moderation.
While no particular cheese is mentioned until Cycle 3, it’s safe to assume that any non-fat cheese is allowed during Cycle 1.
However, I personally think a full fat or lower fat version is way healthier than non-fat. Non-fat foods contain added ingredients to make it taste better.
With that said, do what works for you, but this recipe calls for blue cheese.
Remember, a little blue cheese goes a long way!
Roasted Cabbage Steaks
The roasted cabbage steaks are a dieters dream.
I love roasting my veggies because the nutty flavor comes out and brings the vegetable to a whole new level. The same goes for roasted cabbage steaks.
If you haven’t tried them, what are you waiting for? Check out Pattie’s wedges below.
As always, when making meatballs, remember not to handle the chicken too much, or it may turn out dry and tough.
Get it all mixed together as quickly and gently as possible.
What results is a tender and juicy meatball. So yummm! :)
Healthy Turkey Meatballs
While this recipe specifically calls for chicken, you can definitely make these meatballs with turkey instead.
You can also use ground beef or ground pork – the choice is yours!
Adjustments to Spice Level
If you’re not a fan of super spicy, you should either cut back on the hot sauce or use half hot sauce and half of your favorite low-sugar barbecue sauce.
Alternatively, if you have a favorite brand of hot sauce that’s more mild, definitely use it!
Another way to help control the heat (or at least keep your mouth nice and cool), is to make a larger batch of the Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing to cool your mouth off!!
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs for the 17 Day Diet
As I mentioned earlier, these yummy chicken meatballs are approved for all cycles of the 17 Day Diet.
How you determine which cheese to use (compliant non-fat versus healthier full or lower fat) will be your choice to make.
Can I have these Buffalo Chicken Meatballs on the 17 Day Kickstart Diet?
Yes, you may enjoy this recipe on the 17 Day Kickstart Diet. Starting on the 10-Day Stabilize Phase when both yogurt and cheese are allowed, is when you’ll be able to use this recipe.
However, if you’re on an earlier phase and you still want to try this recipe, omit the sauce and you’ll be good to go!
If you’re not entirely sure which foods are allowed during each phase, make sure you take a peek at my 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List.
You can also check out my book on Amazon called Fast Track Your Weight Loss With the 17 Day Diet which has all the food lists (and a 7 day meal plan, too!).
This Buffalo Chicken Meatballs recipe is perfect for the Keto Diet.
Make sure you use full fat yogurt and cheese, and you’ll have yourself a perfect Keto meal!
Other Low Carb Meatball Recipes
If you’re a meatball fan and you want more, make sure you check out these additional recipes:
- Greek Turkey Meatballs with Yogurt Tzatziki Sauce
- Healthy Low Carb Turkey Meatballs with Marinara Sauce
- Meatballs with Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
If you try this recipe and enjoy it, make sure you come back and review the recipe card below. If you’re on social media, make sure you tag me @17ddblog so I can see your Buffalo Chicken Meatballs!
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs with Roasted Cabbage and Blue Cheese Dressing
Spicy buffalo chicken and cool blue cheese is a crowd pleaser!
For the meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- ½ onion, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (or your favorite brand)
For the Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup crumbled low-fat blue cheese
For the Roasted Cabbage Steaks:
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium head green cabbage, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
For the meatballs:
- Mix all meatball ingredients together except hot sauce. Roll chicken into 1 oz balls for a total of 16 or so.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add chicken balls to pan and cook on all sides until meatballs are completely done and register an internal temp of 165 degrees F, about 7 to 8 minutes total.
- When done, depending on your desired spice level, either drizzle each meatball with hot sauce or quickly dunk them in a small bowl of hot sauce and drizzle with Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing.
For the Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing:
While your chicken is cooking, make your blue cheese dressing.
- Combine all dressing ingredients together except blue cheese and mix well. Gently fold in blue cheese. Store in refrigerator until you’re ready to serve dinner.
For the Roasted Cabbage Steaks:
- About a half hour before you’re ready to serve dinner, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Place 1 medium head green cabbage, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds, in a single layer on sheet and brush with remaining 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
- Season cabbage with coarse salt and ground pepper.
- Roast until cabbage is tender and edges are golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Drizzle a bit of blue cheese dressing (optional)
17 Day Diet - all cycles
17 Day Kickstart Diet - 10-Day Stabilize Phase (omit sauce for earlier phases)
Keto Diet - use full fat ingredients for sauce
Slow Cooker Instructions:
I originally had this recipe use a slow cooker after lightly browning the meatballs, but updated the recipe to exclude it. However, if you want to cook your meatballs in a slow cooker, slow cook on low for 2 hours with the hot sauce after browing the meatballs in your skillet.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)
2 thoughts on “Buffalo Chicken Meatballs with Roasted Cabbage and Blue Cheese Dressing”
My family is OBSESSED with these meatballs! I browned them in the IP and just used the slow cooker function. Delish!
Jane, it sounds like an easy way to make dinner! I’ve never used an IP, but I’m sort of wanting to try it out!