When you’re looking for the perfect sauce for your low carb meatballs, here’s a simple recipe – Low Carb Meatballs with Easy Tomato Sauce.
If you’re losing weight on a low carb diet, this dish can be served sans pasta – use your favorite steamed or roasted veggies!
Alternatively, you can use spaghetti squash as your “pasta” if you still want that a pasta dinner!
Ingredients for Low Carb Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
This recipe is fairly simple to make. It only includes a few key ingredients, which include:
- ground sirloin
- Italian Seasoning
- garlic powder
- Parmesan Cheese
- chopped fresh tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
Low Carb Meatball Dishes Without Pasta
Eating low carb doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy meatballs without pasta! In fact, I think they taste better without!
Here are a few ideas on how to serve this low carb meatball recipe without heavy carbs:
- Spiraled Zucchini Noodles (aka Zoodles)
- Italian Roasted Vegetables
- Cauliflower Rice
- Large Garden Salad
- Spaghetti Squash
- Roasted Cabbage
- Roasted Carrots
- Broccoli Rice
Low Carb Meatballs for the 17 Day Diet
If you’re eating low carb on the 17 Day Diet, you can certainly enjoy these low carb meatballs starting on Cycle 2 when beef is allowed.
If you want to try this recipe in Cycle 1, simply use chicken or turkey instead.
If you’re in Cycle 3, you can definitely have pasta with your low carb meatballs and tomato sauce! You can check out which types of pasta are allowed on the 17 Day Diet Cycle 3 Food list.
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed when, make sure you check out my 17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Food List for all the info!
You can also check out my book on Amazon called Fast Track Your Weight Loss With the 17 Day Diet which has all the food lists (and a 7 day meal plan, too!).
Can I have low carb meatballs on the Kickstart Diet?
Yes, you can definitely have this low carb meatball recipe while on the 17 Day Kickstart Diet. You can have these meatballs starting on the 10-Day Stabilize Phase when beef and cheese is allowed.
If you want to try this recipe on an earlier phase, simply use chicken or turkey and omit the cheese.
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed during each phase, make sure you take a look at my 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List.
If you’re on the Keto Diet, this dish can be eaten as is. Depending on your macros, you may want to use a fattier ground meat such as 80/20.
Everything else about the recipe is good to go!
Other Low Carb Meatball Recipes
If you enjoy this low carb meatball recipe, make sure you check out these other amazing dishes that feature meatballs:
- Greek Turkey Meatballs with Yogurt Tzatziki Sauce
- Healthy Low Carb Turkey Meatballs with Marinara Sauce
- Chipotle Chicken Meatballs with Garlic Lime Yogurt Sauce
- Low Carb Chicken Meatball Stroganoff
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
If you enjoy this low carb meatball and tomato sauce recipe make sure you come back to review the recipe card below. If you’re on social, make sure you tag me @17ddblog so I can see your yummy meal.
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound of 7% fat Ground Sirloin
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated (not shredded)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the sauce:
- 2 cups of chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 1-2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning (season to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons of Beef Broth (or water)
- Garlic Powder to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Fresh herbs (for garnish) (optional)
- Parmesan, sprinkle
- In a large bowl, add the ground sirloin, Italian Seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese and mix well. Make 16 meatballs.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large pan on medium high heat.
- Brown meatballs until brown on all sides, approximately two minutes on each side (turning a total of 4 times).
- When done, remove meatballs and place on paper towel to allow fat to drain. Set aside.
- Add tomatoes to same pan and simmer for a few minutes until soft.
- Add Tomato Sauce and beef broth to tomatoes in pan.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder (season to taste).
- Add meatballs back to pan and cover with sauce. Simmer for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, uncovered to allow sauce to slightly thicken.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs (optional) when you're ready to serve.
17 Day Diet - all cycles (use pasta for Cycle 3)
17 Day Kickstart Diet - all phases
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)