If you struggle with making breakfast a bit more interesting than the usual scrambled egg variety, here’s a recipe I found that I modified so it would be 17 Day Diet friendly.
This would also work for lunch or dinner – you really can have eggs any time of the day!
You can either make the recipe as-is, or substitute your favorite veggies if you’re not a fan of tomatoes or mushrooms.
Photo courtesy of Kaitlynn P. of the 17DD Blog Community
If you make this dish, let me know how you enjoy it! If you switch it up a bit and use different ingredients, I’d love to hear from you! Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces of Ground Turkey (for Cycle 1 or 2) OR 2 slices Canadian Bacon or Reduced Fat Turkey Bacon (for Cycle 3 only)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped spinach or kale (for Cycles 1 or 2) OR 2 cups chopped Swiss chard (for Cycle 3 only)
- 5-6 sliced mushrooms (for Cycles 1 or 2) OR 1/2 small zucchini, finely chopped (for Cycle 3 only)
- 1/2 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated low-fat mozzarella or Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium, heat the olive oil.
- Add the meat and onion and sauté until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the greens (spinach, kale or swiss chard) and mushrooms or zucchini and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown.
- Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir well, then arrange the vegetables in an even layer.
- Using a spoon, create 4 wells in the vegetables, each about 2 inches across.
- Crack an egg into each well. Cover the skillet and cook until just shy of desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the vegetables and eggs, then cover and cook for another minute. Use a spatula to transfer half of the vegetables and 2 eggs onto each plate.
Approved all cycles. See recipe for substitutions for later cycles.