Who says you can’t have decadent Turkey Shepherd’s Pie while trying to lose weight on a low carb diet? Well you can!
This is a dish I featured in a previous 17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Challenge and it was a huge hit!
Traditional Shepherd’s Pie has a mashed potato topping and we’ve lightened this one up using cauliflower instead!
So literally, this is NOT your momma’s shepherd’s pie!
So if you think you can’t eat “pie”, well think again! Remember our versatile friend, cauliflower? We use cauliflower as the “potato” topping for this delicious dish!
Now you can make this dinner for the entire family, even if you’re the only one losing weight. Yep, that means you’re making ONE dinner for the entire family!
Ingredients for Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie
This is a simple low carb shepherd’s pie that is easy to make. Here is a list of some of the key ingredients you’ll need to get started:
For the topping:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Grated Parmesan
- Cheese for topping (optional)
For the filling:
- Green beans
- Lean ground turkey
- Tomato sauce
- Chicken broth
Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie for the 17 Day Diet
If you’re eating low carb on the 17 Day Diet, you can certainly have this turkey shepherd’s pie on all cycles of the diet.
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed when, make sure you check out my 17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Food List for all the info!
You can also check out my book on Amazon called Fast Track Your Weight Loss With the 17 Day Diet which has all the food lists (and a 7 day meal plan, too!).
Can I have Turkey Shepherd’s Pie on the Kickstart Diet?
Yes, you can definitely have this turkey shepherd’s pie while on the 17 Day Kickstart Diet. You can have this dish starting on the 10-Day Stabilize phase without any changes being made to the recipe.
However, if you’d like to have this low carb shepherd’s pie earlier in the Kickstart Diet, here are a few changes you’ll need to make:
- Omit Greek Yogurt on the 3-Day Scrub and 4-Day Soak Up Phases
- Omit the cheese on both earlier phases
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed during each phase, make sure you take a look at my 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List.
Keto Shepherd’s Pie
Looking for a Keto Shepherd’s Pie that’s low carb? You’re in luck!
This tasty turkey low carb shepherd’s pie is Keto Friendly. Make sure you use full fat Greek Yogurt and Parmesan Cheese to take advantage of the extra fat!
More Family Friendly Low Carb Recipes
If you’re on the search for more low carb recipes that are family friendly, make sure you check out these yummy dishes, many of which are my favorites:
- Green Chili Chicken Enchilada with Cauliflower
- Chicken Lombardy
- Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
- Chicken, Mushroom & Broccoli Casserole
- Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole
- Lemony Herbed Chicken and Green Beans
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs With Roasted Cabbage and Blue Cheese Dressing
If you enjoy this Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie recipe make sure you come back to review the recipe card below. If you’re on social, make sure you tag me @17ddblog so I can see your yummy casserole.
For the Cauliflower Topping:
- 2 medium head cauliflower or large package of florets
- 2 tablespoon Plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or roasted garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese for topping (optional)
For the Pie Filling:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced frozen carrots, thawed
- 1 cup frozen green beans, thawed (or fresh)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.
- Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done.
- Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.
- In a bowl with an immersion blender, hand mixer, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the non-fat Greek yogurt, Parmesan, garlic, salt and pepper until almost smooth. Cover and set aside.
- In a large oven-safe skillet, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add onion and sautee until soft.
- Next, add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add turkey to skillet and break up into up into bite-size chunks, cooking until turkey is no longer pink.
- Next, add tomato sauce and chicken broth and allow mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until mixture reduces a bit.
- Add in carrots, green beans and thyme and stir until well combined. Cook for a few minutes until vegetables are warmed through.
- Once thickened a bit, adjust salt and pepper to your preference.
- Pour mashed cauliflower over turkey mixture and spread it over until the entire surface is covered. (If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, use a lightly oiled baking dish.)
- Place in oven for 30 minutes or until the edges of the cauliflower begin to brown.
- Let rest for 10 minutes prior to serving.
Note: If you want to add cheddar cheese to the top, do this prior to putting this in the oven. Once baking is finished, broil for a few minutes if additional browning is needed.
17 Day Diet - all cycles
17 Day Kickstart Diet - 10-Day Stabilize Phase (see post regarding earlier phases)
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)