After all of my years of cooking healthy, I’ve finally found my all-time favorite dish – Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas with Cauliflower. It’s savory, healthy and perfect for weight loss with the 17 Day Diet.
This dish has probably been the most popular ever when I featured it in a previous weight loss challenge.
It was such a hit that I decided to also feature it in my newly updated Simple N’ Lean 17 meal plan for the 17 Day Diet.
If you happen to be on the 17 Day Kickstart Diet or the Keto Diet, keep reading as I have adjustments, if any, that may be necessary for your particular weight loss program.
This version is slightly modified than the one I featured previously – I opted for fresh cauliflower (rather than frozen), I added a bit of cheddar cheese on top for extra color, and let it brown up nicely under the broiler.
Here are a few tips and a secret weapon I use for this recipe.
My secret weapon is the salsa verde. I love the Sam’s Choice brand (it can be found at Wal Mart). If you can’t find this, use your favorite low-sugar salsa.
This particular brand has a lovely tangy bite to it.
Plus, it’s really low in sugar!
There’s something really yummy about tomatillos, so if you’re into this type of flavor as opposed to a chili verde, for instance, I highly recommend this!
I like to use a bit more extra salsa than the recipe calls for – it adds such a lovely flavor to the dish!
Quick Tip #1: When mixing the ingredients (cream cheese, cheese, salsa and Greek yogurt mixture), make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature. This will ensure the ingredients blend well together.
No need to stir until your hands are tired though! Once you place the hot chicken into the bowl, the smaller bits of cream cheese will melt and your mixture will be well-combined!
I also like to throw in an extra bit of cheddar cheese into the actual mixture because I’m a rebel like that! ;)
Quick Tip #2: The recipe calls for a quick broil in the oven after it’s finished baking. I think having a nice layer of slightly golden brown cheese adds to the yumminess of this dish!
Can you tell I love this recipe? When I took the photo below, I used my collection of vintage Pyrex dishes so I’m mainly posting this photo to show off the dishes!!
This recipe really is a keeper – it will likely be on a monthly (if not bi-monthly) rotation in my house!
It’s so good, you’ll want to have leftovers for the next day! So you may want to double your recipe!!
Freezer Friendly Green Chili Chicken Enchilada with Cauliflower
Since you will definitely want to make enough for leftovers, know that this recipe is very freezer friendly!
This is how I freeze my leftovers:
- Keep leftovers as-is in the original dish overnight in the refrigerator
- The next day, cut your servings into single squares
- Place each single serving in a vacuumed sealed bag (or an air tight container)
- Leftovers are great months down the road (as long as they are sealed very well)
17 Day Kickstart Diet Friendly Green Chili Chicken Enchilada with Cauliflower
This recipe can be used on the 10-Day Stabilize Phase if you’re on the 17 Day Kickstart Diet. However, you’ll need to make a minor adjustment if you want this to be approved for the Kickstart Diet. Here is what I recommend:
- Use cheddar cheese in place of mozzarella (cheddar cheese is listed on the last phase as an easily digestible cheese).
- Special note about cream cheese – you won’t see this on the food list as a recommended cheese, but I think it’s fine to use.
If you’re new to the 17 Day Kickstart Diet and you’re not sure which foods are allowed, take a peek at my 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List for more information.
Keto Diet Friendly Green Chili Chicken Enchilada with Cauliflower
This recipe can be used as-is if you’re on the Keto Diet. However, if you want to make this recipe even lower carb, here are a few adjustments I recommend (this is basically how I make it at home):
- Omit Greek Yogurt all together
- Use 8oz cream cheese (basically doubling this amount if you choose to omit Greek Yogurt, otherwise keep the measurement of cream cheese at 4oz).
- Use full-fat cheese (Pepper-jack is perfect in this dish instead of Mozzarella)
If you make this recipe, come back and give it a rating in the recipe card below AND leave a comment to let me know how you enjoyed it and what, if any, modifications you made to make it your own!
- 16 oz bag of fresh cauliflower florets, ends removed and roughly chopped into smaller pieces
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 Large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup of your favorite low-sugar Salsa Verde + a bit more for extra flavor (I really like the flavor of Sam's Choice Salsa Verde)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded full-fat or low-fat mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese, for sprinkling on the top (for added color)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Steam or microwave cauliflower until barely fork tender. Remove excess liquid and set aside. If you have a colander, place cooked cauliflower in colander and let it drain while you're mixing the rest of your ingredients together.
- In a large bowl add cream cheese, chicken, salsa, salt and pepper, ½ cup of mozzarella cheese and Greek Yogurt. Stir until well combined.
- Add cauliflower to bowl and gently fold until combined.
- Add mixture to a 7x11 oven safe dish. Add the remaining ½ cup cheese to top as well as a sprinkle of cheddar and bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
- When the dish is finished baking, turn your broiler on high and allow cheddar to slightly brown.
Prep time includes cooking and shredding chicken before hand.
17 Day Diet: Approved for all cycles
17 Day Kickstart Diet - approved for 10-Day Stabilize phase. Use full fat cheddar cheese instead of Mozzarella
Keto Diet: You may use this recipe as-is. If you prefer to make slight changes to lower the carb count even more, change the recipe as follows (this is how I personally make mine):
- Omit the Greek Yogurt all together
- Use 8oz of cream cheese (instead of 4oz)
- Use full-fat pepper jack cheese instead of Mozzarella
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, My Lil’ Food Journal for The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)