When you’re looking to satisfy that taco craving without all the added carbs, this One Skillet Chicken Taco Casserole should do the trick!
This is a recipe straight from my Tasty Cycle 1 Meal Plan for the 17 Day Diet (only available a few times a year). I’ve slightly modified it from its original version, but it still has the same flavors!
This is a perfect low carb chicken taco salad that is a winner for the 17 Day Diet as well as many other low carb diets.
It’s also a great low carb option if you’re on a Keto Diet or the 17 Day Kickstart Diet. Keep reading as I’ll let you know any changes, if needed.
Ingredients for One Skillet Chicken Taco Casserole
The ingredients for this low carb dish are really quite simple. No complicated list here!
- Shredded Chicken
- Cauliflower rice (optional)
- Diced Tomatoes
- Chili Powder
- Garlic powder
- Cheddar Cheese
Substitutions For One Skillet Chicken Taco Casserole
If you’re not a fan of some of the ingredients, or want to use something similar that you already have in your pantry, the sky is the limit. Here are a few ideas:
- Ground Chicken, Turkey or Beef (instead of shredded)
- Omit Cauliflower Rice All Together (or use regular rice instead)
- Use fresh tomatoes instead of canned
- Use your favorite cheese instead of cheddar
- Mix up the spices or leave all or some out
Additional Ingredients for One Skillet Chicken Taco Casserole
You can definitely add ingredients to this recipe if you want to switch up the flavors a bit. Keep in mind that depending on what you add, it may no longer be considered low carb!
Here are a few ideas:
- Black Beans
- Green Chilis
- Rice (brown or regular)
- More Cheese inside (Pepper Jack)
- Corn Tortilla Chips
Optional Toppings for One Skillet Chicken Taco Casserole
The sky is the limit on what you can use for toppings for this taco salad recipe. Here are a few ideas from the recipe itself:
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Green onion or white onion
- Low Sugar Salsa
Use Cauliflower Tortillas to Make Low Carb Tacos
If you really want tacos and don’t need another salad, then consider using my Cauliflower Tortillas recipe!
This recipe is a great low carb option if you really are a taco lover like me and can’t live without them!
You can still use this One Skillet Chicken Taco Casserole recipe as-is. Just add your filling into a warm homemade Cauliflower Tortilla and add your toppings!
One Skillet Chicken Taco Casserole For The 17 Day Diet
This recipe is perfect to curb your carb cravings if you’re on the 17 Day Diet.
This recipe can be used as-is for all cycles!
If you decide to add more starchy ingredients such as black beans, corn or rice, then this dish would be perfect for Cycles 2 and 3 when starches are allowed!
If you need a refresher on which foods are allowed in Cycle 1, make sure you take a peek at my 17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Food List.
You can also check out my book on Amazon called Fast Track Your Weight Loss With the 17 Day Diet which has all the food lists (and a 7 day meal plan, too!).
What Phase of the 17 Day Kickstart Diet is this Approved For?
If you happen to be on the 17 Day Kickstart Diet, you can certainly use this recipe from day 1. However, you’ll need to make a few minor changes to the recipe to make it compliant.
The changes required really are in the toppings! So if you’re on the Kickstart Diet, omit the sour cream and cheese and you are good to go for both the 3-Day Scrub and 4-Day Soak Up Phases.
If you’re on the 10-Day Stabilize Phase of the Kickstart Diet, then you can use cheese and maybe opt for a dollop of Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream.
If you’re new to the Kickstart Diet and not sure which foods are allowed on each phase, make sure you check out my 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List.
Is This One Skillet Chicken Taco Casserole Keto Friendly?
If you’re on a Keto Diet, then this recipe can be safely eaten as long as it fits within your macros.
Depending on your macros, you may need to limit the tomatoes and onions as your toppings, and make sure you use a full fat sour cream!
Other Low Carb Mexican Inspired Recipes
If you enjoy homemade Mexican Inspired food that is low carb, make sure you check out these other recipes”
- Chicken with Mexican Dry Rub and Fruit Salsa
- Green Chili Chicken Enchilada with Cauliflower
- Chicken Fajitas
- Mexican Beef Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Cauliflower Nachos
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mexican Cilantro Chicken
- Christine’s Mexican Turkey Chili
- Cauliflower Tortillas
- Chicken Enchilada Soup (Slow Cooker)
- Turkey Cilantro Enchilada Soup
- Mexican Lime Chicken
- Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
If you enjoy this One Skillet Chicken Taco Casserole, make sure you come back to review the recipe card below. If you’re on social media, make sure you tag me @17ddblog so I can see your yummy meal!
- 3 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded (or use ground)
- 1 12oz bag of frozen cauliflower rice (approx 3 Cups) (optional)
- 1 10oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- ½ Cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Green onion or White Onion
- Low Sugar Salsa
- If you use cauliflower rice, heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add cauliflower rice and cook for about 3 minutes or until cauliflower is cooked through.
- Add the cooked shredded chicken, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, garlic powder and salt and pepper to the skillet and lightly toss until all ingredients are well combined and all ingredients are heated through.
- Add shredded cheese over the top, cover the skillet and lower the temperature to low and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes to allow the
cheese to melt and the ingredients to fully get hot.
- Dish a serving of the chicken taco mixture into a bowl or plate. Either add to a bed of your favorite greens (or add lettuce on top).
- Top with your favorite salad toppings.
17 Day Diet - all cycles
17 Day Kickstart Diet - 10-Day Stabilize Phase (omit cheese and sour cream to use on 3-Day Scrub and 4-Day Soak Up Phases)
Keto Diet - limit tomatoes and/or onions depending on your macros
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)