Eating healthy Mexican food on the 17 Day Diet can be super easy, especially with this yummy Chicken with Mexican Dry Rub & Fruit Salsa recipe.
While this is a perfect grilling Summer BBQ recipe, it can be enjoyed year round!
It’s also better for you if you take a few extra minutes to make your own homemade taco seasoning.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Ingredients
This particular homemade Mexican Dry Rub aka homemade taco seasoning recipe calls for:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
Different Variations of the Homemade Taco Seasoning
I’ve also experimented by adding in other spices such as ground coriander (I love the smell of this spice!!), onion powder, and a bit of red chili flakes.
The sky really is the limit when it comes to this seasoning. You can really use whatever you like.
Recipe is Quick and Easy
This Chicken with Mexican Dry Rub and Fruit Salsa recipe is quick and easy. The dry rub has a few ingredients and it’s much healthier than the store-bought packaged taco seasoning.
Most of the store-bought varieties contain a ton of sodium and sugar! That’s no bueno!
How to Serve the Chicken with Mexican Dry Rub and Fruit Salsa
There’s no right or wrong way to serve this chicken as a dinner. I’ve served it a few different ways.
One way is to slice the chicken and top it with the yummy fruit salsa. Add either a side salad or your favorite veggie side dish and you have yourself a meal.
Another way to serve this chicken is chopped and in either lettuce wraps or this easy cauliflower tortillas recipe.
Finally, this chicken and salsa is super delicious as a taco salad sans chips. Add a dollop of sour cream, cheese and maybe a few jalapeno peppers, and you’re done!
Different Variations to the Salsa
Over the years making this salsa, I’ve made it a few different ways:
- Add about two tablespoons of minced pickled jalapeno peppers (YUM!!)
- Add a small can of diced green chili peppers
- Add a bit of apple cider vinegar for extra tang!
If you have trouble finding a sunburst tomato, you can usually find them in the smaller size inside the carton. I’d really try hard to find them though, as the sunburst tomato is pretty much the secret ingredient in this recipe!
This Recipe Pairs Well With:
Other Low Carb Recipes for Summer Grilling
If you enjoy this recipe, consider trying out these others that are perfect for grilling weather:
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken
- Tahini Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Lemon Sriracha Shrimp
- Greek Souvlaki With Yogurt Sauce
- Chimichurri Steak Kabobs
- Grilled Pesto Chicken and Tomato Kebabs
- Chicken Caesar Kebabs
- Mexican Lime Chicken
- Bang Bang Chicken Kebabs
- Chicken or Beef Skewers (Peruvian Anticuchos)
Other Low Carb Chicken Mexican Recipes
If you’re a Mexican food lover like me and enjoy this recipe, you might want to try these other recipes:
- One Skillet Chicken Taco Casserole
- Chicken Fajitas
- Mexican Beef Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Green Chili Chicken Enchilada with Cauliflower
- Chicken Enchilada Soup (Slow Cooker)
- Turkey Cilantro Enchilada Soup
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mexican Cilantro Chicken
- Christine’s Mexican Turkey Chili
- Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
If you make this recipe come back and review it below and let me know if you made any changes to it! If you’re on social media, make sure you tag me @17ddblog so I can see your pretty grill marks!
For the fruit salsa:
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 1 Sunburst Tomato (sweet yellow tomato)
- 1 Avocado (omit if you’re on Cycle 1)
- 1 small onion
- Juice of ½ to 1 lemon to taste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 Tbsp of Olive Oil to taste
- Sweetener of choice, to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the chicken:
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- Prepare the fruit salsa by chopping the tomatoes, onion and avocado.
- In a small bowl, add the lemon juice, lemon zest, sweetener, salt and pepper and slowly whisk in Olive Oil until you reach your desired consistency and flavor.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, onion and avocado to the dressing and toss lightly. Set aside.
Next prepare chicken as follows:
- Heat olive oil in skillet on medium high heat.
- Mix together spices and sprinkle dry rub mixture liberally on both sides of chicken breasts.
- Pan fry chicken until golden brown on one side on medium high for about 5 to 6 minutes, turn chicken over and reduce heat to medium, cover and continue cooking until done, about 5 minutes. Cooking time will depend on thickness of chicken.
- Once chicken is cooked through, allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes prior to slicing.
- Serve chicken with a generous helping of fruit salsa.
Approved for all cycles. Omit avocado unless you're on Cycle 3.
Chicken can be served as-is, in lettuce wraps or by using cauliflower tortillas.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)