Shrimp is a great weight loss food because it’s full of protein and low in fat. This recipe is perfect for cycles 2 or 3 of the 17 Day Diet.
If you’ve been on Cycle 1 for 17 days and you’re itching for something that’s not chicken or salmon, then this Grilled Lemon Sriracha Shrimp should hit the spot!
This is a recipe I found on Instagram that, after a few minor changes, would make a perfect meal for Cycle 2 or 3 of the 17 Day Diet.
This is a perfect dish to add to your Summer BBQ recipe ideas bucket, but can be easily made any time of year.
The ingredients are simple, but pack in a lot of flavor. I love adding lemon juice or zest to my recipes because it brightens up the dish.
I also love Sriracha sauce – I admit I don’t use it much in recipes. It’s more of a condiment for me when eating a great healthy stir fry.
This recipe does call for grilling, but you don’t need an outdoor grill (or indoor for that matter) to make this for dinner.
A quick pan fry or even broil in the oven and you’re good to go!
I’d try to stick with raw shrimp – so no shortcuts here. Uncooked shrimp only takes but a few minutes to cook, so you’re better off sticking to the recipe.
If you want to use already cooked shrimp, make sure they’re thawed.
When you go to grill them, you’ll only warm them through, so best to have your shrimp room temperature before placing them on the grill.
If you use the recipe as-is and use uncooked shrimp, I think you’ll have a better outcome!
Plus, when you cook just until pink, your shrimp will be juicy and full of flavor!
OK, let’s take you on a quick step-by-step on how to prep for this dish. First, if you’re grilling your shrimp, you’ll want to soak your wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes so they don’t burn over the fire.
Next, gather all of your ingredients – it’ll be easier and faster to measure and go if they’re all right in one spot.
Just a note about honey in this recipe. If you’re like me and prefer real, whole foods, honey is a good choice. There’s not a lot in this recipe, but just enough to give it a bit of sweetness.
Remember, honey is still a sugar, so either keep this in mind, or use another natural sweetener that doesn’t affect blood sugar levels like Stevia.
Next, take all of your marinade ingredients and either mix it well in a small bowl, or place them directly into a large sealable bag.
Next, you’ll place your thawed and well-rinsed shrimp into a large sealable bag. Make sure you seal it tightly so it doesn’t leak.
Allow your shrimp to marinate for up to an hour inside the refrigerator. The longer it sits, the more likely the shrimp may cure in the lemon juice, so an hour should be the max.
Preheat your grill while you’re threading your shrimp onto the wooden skewers. If you don’t have a grill, you can actually skip this part and cook your shrimp right in the pan.
Depending on how big your shrimp and how long your skewers are, place 5 to 7 on each skewer. When the grill is hot, place your shrimp down on the grill at one time.
Allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, depending on how large your shrimp are and how hot your grill is. Make sure you don’t overcook or your shrimp will be tough!
You’ll know when your shrimp is ready to remove from the grill when it’s pink and firm!
Serve them on the skewers or take them off – it’s really your choice on how you serve them.
They’re perfect as a salad topper, or spicy asian shrimp tacos or lettuce wraps!
Other Low Carb Fish Recipes
If you’re a big fan of fish or seafood in general and you want more low carb recipes to add to your dinner rotation, you’ll love these other fabulous low carb fish recipes:
- Mahi Mahi with Citrus Herb Salad
- Crab Cakes with Vinaigrette Dressing
- Keto Salmon with Lemon Dijon Sauce
- Salmon & Avocado Salsa Salad
- Shrimp Cocktail
- Pan Seared Salmon with Mediterranean Salsa Fresca
- Mayo Free Tuna and Egg Salad
- Lemon and Dill Salmon
- Sandy’s Tuna Toast
- Tuna Cakes with Lemon Dijon Sauce
- Broiled Tilapia with Parmesan
More Low Carb Summer Grilling Recipes
If you enjoy this recipe, consider trying out these others that are perfect for grilling weather:
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken
- Tahini Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Pesto Chicken and Tomato Kebabs
- Greek Souvlaki With Yogurt Sauce
- Chicken with Mexican Dry Rub and Fruit Salsa
- Chicken Caesar Kebabs
- Mexican Lime Chicken
- Bang Bang Chicken Kebabs
- Chicken or Beef Skewers (Peruvian Anticuchos)
If you make this Grilled Lemon Sriracha recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Please come back to review this recipe below. If you’re on social media, tag me @17ddblog so I can see your lovely creation! Enjoy!
Grilled Lemon Sriracha Shrimp
Tangy and a little spicy for your summer BBQ months!
- 1 ½ pounds of raw large shrimp, peeled and deveined (leave tails on if desired)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of honey (use Stevia if sticking to the 17 Day Diet)
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- Juice and zest from 2 lemons
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha Sauce, or more to taste
- Lemon wedges and chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for up to 30 minutes to prevent burning.
- Place all of the marinade ingredients (except the shrimp, lemon wedges and garnish) into a small bowl and mix well.
- Place the shrimp and sauce into a plastic re-sealable bag and shake well to fully combine ingredients and coat shrimp.
- Marinate for at least one hour inside the refrigerator.
- Remove shrimp from sauce and thread onto skewers.
- Heat the grill to medium-high.
- Place the shrimp skewers on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until shrimp has become pink and firm.
- Be careful not to overcook or your shrimp will become tough and rubbery.
- Garnish shrimp skewers with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
- If you don't have a grill, you can pan fry or broil in the oven.
Approved for cycles 2 and 3.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)