Salmon is such a healthy fish to include in your diet. It’s packed with omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals and a healthy protein to include in your weekly meal rotation.
I featured this recipe in my 7-Day Salad Diet Challenge because it’s filled with healthy protein and fat for keeping you fuller longer.
If you’re looking to add more salmon into your low carb way of eating, this Salmon & Avocado Salsa Salad is a perfect addition for lunch or dinner!
This Salmon & Avocado Salsa Salad comes directly from my 17 Day Kickstart Diet Meal Plan and like my other recipe from this same meal plan, my Chickpea, Cauliflower & Quinoa Power Bowl recipe, this one was also asking to be shared to the masses!
While this salmon recipe was first created for The 17 Day Kickstart Diet, it’s also approved for any low carb diets such as the 17 Day Diet and a Keto Diet.
Keep reading as I’ll let you know which cycles and phases of each diet this dish is approved for.
Simple Ingredients for Salmon & Avocado Salsa Salad
More often than not, a short list of simple ingredients is all you need in order to have BIG flavor! This recipe isn’t super complicated, and for me, that’s the best part.
Here are a few of the ingredients you’ll need to make this salad:
- Salmon Filets
- Salad greens
- Red onion
- Roma or cherry tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes this time around)
- Cilantro or parsley
Feel free to switch up ingredients if you want. For instance, if you have a container of cherry tomatoes you need to use up, use these instead of Roma tomatoes (I used cherry this time around and they provide such a sweet flavor!).
If you’re not a fan of red onion, you can use a more mild shallot or even green onions.
I Don’t Like Salmon. What Can I Use Instead?
If salmon isn’t your favorite, you can use all types of proteins. Here are a few that I recommend:
- Mahi Mahi
- Or any other white fish
- Chicken (breast or even ground lean chicken)
- Turkey (breast or ground)
As you can see, you really can use the protein of your choice. Keep in mind that cooking times will vary depending on what you use and the thickness of your fish or chicken.
Salmon & Avocado Salsa Salad for the 17 Day Kickstart Diet
As I mentioned earlier, this recipe comes straight out of my meal plan for the Kickstart Diet. In fact, it’s the lunch recipe for day 1.
This means this recipe is approved for all phases of the 17 Day Kickstart Diet, so you can enjoy the yummy goodness of healthy fats in this avocado salsa from the very beginning!
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed on the Kickstart Diet, make sure you take a look at my 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List.
Which Cycle of the 17 Day Diet Is this Salmon & Avocado Salsa Salad Approved For?
If you’re on the 17 Day Diet, you can enjoy this recipe as written starting on Cycle 3 when avocados are allowed as a healthy fat.
You can take a look at the 17 Day Diet Cycle 3 Food List for a complete list of foods allowed for this cycle.
Ingredients to Use for Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet
If you want to eat this salad during cycle 1, you’d simply omit the avocado. However, the avocado is the best part!
If you’re not a huge fan of avocados or if you want to make this cycle 1 approved, here is a short list of ingredients you can add to the “salsa” portion of this recipe to make it compliant for Cycle 1:
- Artichoke Hearts
- Bell Pepper
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed, make sure you take a peek at my 17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Food List.
You can also check out my book on Amazon called Fast Track Your Weight Loss With the 17 Day Diet which has all the food lists (and a 7 day meal plan, too!).
Is this Salmon & Avocado Salsa Salad Keto Friendly?
Yes! This recipe is perfect for a Keto Diet. In fact, it’s a great way to get your healthy fats in for the day, especially if you’re a bit under on your fat macros.
If you’re on a Keto Diet, definitely give this salad a try!
If your macros don’t allow for certain ingredients (tomatoes and onions), then either use less or try the vegetables listed right up above as an alternative.
Of course, all vegetables have carbohydrates, but they are mostly filled with fiber and that helps with your carb macros!
Low Carb Salmon Recipes
If salmon is your favorite and you want more low carb recipes, check these out:
- Keto Salmon With Lemon Dijon Sauce
- Bang Bang Salmon & Broccoli Bowls
- Pan Seared Salmon with Mediterranean Salsa Fresca
- Lemon and Dill Salmon
Other Low Carb Fish Recipes
If you’re a big fan of fish in general and you want to add more low carb seafood recipes to add to your dinner rotation, you’ll love these other fabulous low carb fish recipes:
- Mahi Mahi with Citrus Herb Salad
- Crab Cakes with Citrus Vinaigrette
- Shrimp Cocktail
- Pan Seared Salmon with Mediterranean Salsa Fresca
- Mayo Free Tuna and Egg Salad
- Grilled Lemon Sriracha Shrimp
- Sandy’s Tuna Toast
- Tuna Cakes with Lemon Dijon Sauce
- Broiled Tilapia with Parmesan
Low Carb Salad Recipes
If you like this type of salad and you’re looking for more low carb options for lunch (or dinner), then make sure you check these other salad recipes out.
- Tuna and Egg Salad (Mayo Free)
- Kickstart Detox Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Salad with Greek Yogurt
- Grown-up Tuna Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- Cool Cucumber and Strawberry Salad with Vinaigrette
- Chicken Caesar Kebabs
- Crunchy Sweet Apple Chicken Salad
- Peach Caprese Salad for the 17 Day Diet
- Summer Slaw with Apples
If you make this Salmon & Avocado Salsa Salad recipe and you enjoy it, please come back and review the recipe card below. If you’re on social media, make sure you tag me @17ddblog so I can see your pretty salmon salad!
Salmon & Avocado Salsa Salad
This low carb Salmon & Avocado Salsa Salad makes two servings so you can use leftovers for lunch!
- 2 Salmon Filets
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Salad greens, enough for 2 salads
- Drizzle of Olive Oil (for over salad) (optional)
For the Avocado Salsa:
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped (or handful cherry tomatoes)
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, add the chopped avocado, onion, tomato, lime juice, cilantro or parsley and salt.
- Gently mix together and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium high heat.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper and cook salmon on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Serve salmon with half the mixture of the avocado salsa over the top of each filet on a bed of salad greens.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top (optional).
17 Day Diet - Cycle 3 (omit avocado for cycles 1 and 2)
17 Day Kickstart Diet - all phases
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)