Trying to lose weight means giving up your favorite salty, cheesy and carb-filled favorite dish: nachos….or does it?
Well, if you’re on the 17 Day Diet, there won’t be any more nachos!
So when you think of nachos, what’s the first thing that comes to mind?
Salty, cheesy, carb filled yummy goodness? OK, so that’s what I think of, too!
Look, there’s no reason we must give up “nachos” if you’re trying to lose weight.
Well, with our trusted friend, Mr. Cauliflower, there’s a better and healthier way prepare most dishes, including nachos!
If you’ve been around the 17 Day Diet block for a while, you’ll notice a trend with cauliflower — substitute your favorite carbs for this versatile veggie, and you instantly have a healthier version of your favorite comfort food.
Here’s a dish a fellow 17dd’er, Michelle L., recently made.
She made a few tweaks to the original recipe and had herself a healthy dish!
It’s super easy and very yummy! Check out her photo below.
I think the secret to this dish is the seasoning and making sure you get equal distribution on the cauliflower.
Make sure you evenly spread your cauliflower on your sheet pan – if the cauliflower is too crowded, they might steam instead of roast and crisp up.
Here’s a tip to ensure your nachos come out perfect – when you’re ready to place the cheese over the top of the cauliflower, move all of your veggies to the center of the sheet pan prior to sprinkling with cheese.
This will ensure your cheese actually makes its way over the top and NOT on the bottom of the pan.
Finally, the toppings!!
The toppings can be endless – for my nachos, I added sour cream, a few diced tomatoes, olives, and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Perfect Recipe Pairing:
This cauliflower nacho recipe can be a perfect side dish for my Chicken with Mexican Dry Rub and Fruit Salsa.
I’d love to hear what toppings you put on your nachos, so come back and let me know!
- 2 small heads (or 1 large head) cauliflower, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 c. low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Low-sugar Salsa, for serving
- Green onions for garnish (optional)
- Toppings such as sour cream, tomatoes, olives, etc.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add cauliflower to a large baking pan or dish and drizzle with olive oil. Mix all spices and salt together and sprinkle over cauliflower. Toss to coat.
- Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden and crispy. Check about half way through and gently toss cauliflower, if needed.
- Top with cheese and return to oven until melted, about 5 minutes more.
- Garnish with your favorite low-sugar salsa, diced green onions, sour cream, tomatoes, etc.
Approved all cycles.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Original recipe can be found here.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, My Lil’ Food Journal for The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)