I love chili! Chili is a very diet-friendly meal when you’re trying to lose weight, especially with the 17 Day Diet.
I hate to admit this, but I used to buy in the can years ago and empty into a pot and let it simmer away until it was nice and hot.
I stopped doing that when I started paying attention to labels and noticed most canned chili is filled with fillers like soy!
Talk about gross!
A great homemade chili is really easy to make.
I love the spices in this chili – they are all my favorite!
Whatever you do, don’t skip the tomato paste – this gives the dish a nice, rich flavor.
Skip the canned variety *and* use your own spices as opposed to those yucky packaged kind and you have yourself a healthy meal!
This Turkey Chili can be modified a tad to make it cycle 1 compliant.
I have notes in the ingredient section so you know how to make this low-carb.
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey (can substitute ground chicken)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can red kidney beans (14 oz) (omit for Cycle 1)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz) (substitute 2-3 large tomatoes)
- ¾ cup chopped mushrooms (substitute canned mushrooms – drained)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray heat over medium heat.
- Add ground turkey and cook for one minute.
- Add onion, green pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms and spices; cook 2-3 minutes, or until turkey is no longer pink.
- Stir in kidney beans and tomato paste and simmer for 20 minutes.
To make this Cycle 1 friendly, omit kidney beans.
Approved for cycles 2 and 3.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. As you know, your health & wellness is a life-long journey and food is one piece of the puzzle. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, helping you with your anti-aging & skincare needs over at my Avon store (come say hi!!), and helping you achieve better health through nature with my other love, Busy Bee’s Wellness Co.