I love chili! Chili is a very diet-friendly meal when you’re trying to lose weight, especially with the 17 Day Diet.
I hate to admit this, but I used to buy in the can years ago and empty into a pot and let it simmer away until it was nice and hot.
I stopped doing that when I started paying attention to labels and noticed most canned chili is filled with fillers like soy!
Talk about gross!
A great homemade chili is really easy to make.
I love the spices in this chili – they are all my favorite!
Whatever you do, don’t skip the tomato paste – this gives the dish a nice, rich flavor.
Skip the canned variety *and* use your own spices as opposed to those yucky packaged kind and you have yourself a healthy meal!
This Turkey Chili can be modified a tad to make it cycle 1 compliant.
I have notes in the ingredient section so you know how to make this low-carb.
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey (can substitute ground chicken)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can red kidney beans (14 oz) (omit for Cycle 1)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz) (substitute 2-3 large tomatoes)
- ¾ cup chopped mushrooms (substitute canned mushrooms – drained)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray heat over medium heat.
- Add ground turkey and cook for one minute.
- Add onion, green pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms and spices; cook 2-3 minutes, or until turkey is no longer pink.
- Stir in kidney beans and tomato paste and simmer for 20 minutes.
To make this Cycle 1 friendly, omit kidney beans.
Approved for cycles 2 and 3.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)