I love me some Chinese food, especially fried rice or egg rolls! Yes, this recipe is inspired by the ever so famous egg roll. Introducing Egg Roll in a Bowl a la Judy.
This is the perfect solution for the 17 Day Diet.
Who needs all that yummy goodness deep fried (no joke, I typed “friend” instead of “fried” at first), when you’re trying to lose weight?
I’m all about cutting corners and cutting calories so this dish is a family favorite of mine!
Plus, it will give you the yummy flavors of an egg roll without having to eat a greasy, deep-fried roll.
This particular recipe is Judy’s take on the popular Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe that all of the members of my private Facebook Community are raving about!
Here’s Judy’s version of the popular low-carb dish without all the carbs and grease! Enjoy!
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil (may use Olive Oil)
- 1 pound ground chicken (may use turkey for C1, or beef or pork for C2 )
- 2 bags 1-pound cole slaw mix (cabbage/carrot mix) (a total of 2 pounds)
- 2 red onions chopped
- 10 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1-3 teaspoons ground ginger, to taste
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup low-sodium light soy, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 2-3 green onion stalks finely chopped (optional for garnish)
- On medium heat, heat oil and brown meat in large frying pan until fully cooked.
- Increase heat to medium high and add chopped onions and slightly brown.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic, ginger, soy sauce and add to pan.
- Immediately add cabbage/carrots mix and cook through until cabbage is semi-wilted, but still have a crunch to them.
- Add chicken broth or water as needed if mixture is too dry.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and serve.
Approved all cycles.
If you're on Cycle 2 or 3, experiment using other types of protein such as beef or pork.
If you're on Cycle 2 or 3, you may serve with brown rice. Also, feel free to adjust spices to your liking.