If you’re looking for a quick and easy smoothie that can be made ahead of time for a grab-and-go breakfast, then this Strawberry, Peanut Butter & Chocolate Collagen Smoothie is a perfect low carb, on-the-go meal for busy mornings!
It’s reminiscent of peanut butter and jelly with an added twist – chocolate! YUM!
This collagen smoothie also makes for a perfect lunch, too!
Packed with protein, fiber, healthy fat, and chocolate collagen peptides for that extra boost in nutrition, this Chocolate Collagen Smoothie is a weight loss dream come true!
This recipe is loosely based on my Strawberry & Peanut Butter Smoothie from my Thrive in 5 meal plan (Spring/Summer Edition), and I thought I’d tweak it a bit to enhance its nutrition profile with my new favorite supplement, chocolate collagen!
We all need more collagen in our life, especially as we age!
- What is Collagen?
- My Favorite Chocolate Collagen Peptides Powder
- Where to Buy Collagen Peptides
- Collagen Sale – Get a Discount Promo Code For Codeage
- Ingredients for Chocolate Collagen Smoothie
- Other Fruit Choices for a Collagen Smoothie
- Alternative for Yogurt In This Chocolate Collagen Smoothie
- Nut and Seed Butters in Chocolate Collagen Smoothies
- Is this Chocolate Collagen Smoothie Approved for the 17 Day Diet?
- Is This Chocolate Collagen Smoothie Recipe Approved for the 17 Day Kickstart Diet?
- Is this Chocolate Collagen Smoothie Recipe Keto Friendly?
- Other Low Sugar Smoothie Recipes
- Transitional Day Fast Smoothie Recipes for the 17 Day Diet
- Lean Granola For A Chocolate Collagen Smoothie
- Other Low Carb Breakfast Recipes
What is Collagen?
Before we get into the chocolate collagen peptides smoothie recipe, here’s a quick rundown of collagen (just in case you need a quick refresher).
Collagen is a protein that the body produces to help support things such as hair, nails, skin, bones, cartilage and connective tissue.
As we age, our bodies decrease its collagen production, so it’s important to supplement with certain foods that contain collagen such as poultry, fish, beans and eggs.
Collagen supplements can also be consumed in capsules, powder, and even bone broth.
I’ve been taking collagen as a supplement for a few years now and it’s made a huge difference in hair growth, nail strength and keeping my skin glowing and youthful looking, even as I get older.
My Favorite Chocolate Collagen Peptides Powder
There are a ton of chocolate collagen peptides powders on the market. However, not all are created equal!
My favorite to date is Codeage Chocolate Multi Collagen Peptides Protein Powder (Codeage gave me a complimentary container to try and I really like it! You can see my full disclosure statement here).
It contains five types of collagen (types 1, 2 3, 5 and 10) and is low in sugar (uses Stevia extract) and uses very clean ingredients.
Here are a few benefits of Codeage Multi Collagen Chocolate Peptides Powder:
- The collagen sources come from grass-fed and pasture-raised hydrolyzed bovine collagen peptides, organic beef bone broth, organic chicken bone broth, wild-caught fish collagen peptides, and eggshell collagens
- Does not contain shellfish
- Is low in sugar (0.2 grams per serving)
- Contains MCT oil (helps burn fat, provides energy, and is Keto Friendly)
- Contains 18 other amino acids
- Non GMO, dairy free, soy free and gluten free
Where to Buy Collagen Peptides
The easiest place I’ve found to find a good variety of collagen peptides is on Amazon. The great thing about Amazon is the customer reviews. They are gold!
If you’re buying a chocolate collagen powder for the first time, it’s important to rely on consumer feedback, so Amazon is the first place I usually look when shopping around.
You can check out the Amazon reviews for the Codeage Chocolate Protein Collagen Powder.
Collagen Sale – Get a Discount Promo Code For Codeage
Codeage Collagen is priced really well for the clean ingredients it uses. Sometimes they have sales on their products, so you’d definitely want to check them out on Amazon to see what special they may be running on their Chocolate Protein Collagen Peptides.
Ingredients for Chocolate Collagen Smoothie
Now that we have a quick rundown of the importance of collagen and why it’s featured in this smoothie, here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this chocolate collagen smoothie recipe (you likely already have these on hand):
Here are a few of the smoothie ingredients:
- Plain Yogurt
- Unsweetened Almond Milk (or your favorite nut or seed milk)
- Strawberries (fresh or frozen – although frozen make for a better smoothie!)
- Peanut Butter (or any nut or seed butter)
- Flax or Chia Seed (or both!!)
- Chocolate Collagen Powder (I like the Codeage Chocolate Collagen brand)
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (only if you want it extra chocolatey)
This collagen smoothie recipe has the right amount of natural sweetness from the strawberries to curb any sweet craving you might have.
Plus, the ingredients are super healthy and this recipe is designed to keep you fuller longer with all the superfoods, fiber and protein collagen combined together in one complete meal!
Smoothie Tools & Ingredients To Use
- Personal Size Smoothie Blender
- Superfoods (Chia Seeds, Lion’s Mane, Flax Seed)
- Protein/Collagen Powder
Other Fruit Choices for a Collagen Smoothie
If you don’t have strawberries on hand, or if you’re a fan of other fruits, here are a few ideas to either substitute or supplement strawberries in this collagen smoothie:
Alternative for Yogurt In This Chocolate Collagen Smoothie
If you’re not a fan of plain yogurt, or just don’t like it in your smoothie, you can use any one cup of the following instead:
- Unsweetened Homemade Almond Milk
- Unsweetened Flax Milk
- Unsweetened Hemp Milk
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Unsweetened Soy Milk
Nut and Seed Butters in Chocolate Collagen Smoothies
If you’re not a fan of peanut butter, you can use your favorite nut or seed butter. Here are a few ideas to use in this recipe:
- Almond Butter
- Sunflower Butter
- Pumpkin Seed Butter
- Cashew Butter
- Walnut Butter
Is this Chocolate Collagen Smoothie Approved for the 17 Day Diet?
Yes! This smoothie can be enjoyed as-is while on Cycle 3 of the 17 Day Diet when nut butters, almond milk and seeds are allowed.
If you want to bulk this smoothie up a little, you can also add in a banana to make it super creamy, too (you might need to add a bit more liquid if you do).
If you’re not sure which foods are allowed on this cycle, make sure you check out my 17 Day Diet Cycle 3 Food List.
Changes Needed for Cycles 1 and 2
However, if you want to enjoy this smoothie during cycles 1 and 2 of the 17 Day Diet, here are a few suggestions in order to make this 100% compliant earlier in the diet.
- Use water to thin out smoothie (instead of unsweetened almond milk)
- Use 1-2 Tablespoons of Flax Oil (instead of nut butter and/or chia seeds)
- Use handful of spinach for added fiber (instead of flax seed)
You can also check out my book on Amazon called Fast Track Your Weight Loss With the 17 Day Diet which has all the food lists (and a 7 day meal plan, too!).
Is This Chocolate Collagen Smoothie Recipe Approved for the 17 Day Kickstart Diet?
Yes! It’s definitely approved starting in the 10-Day Stabilize Phase of the 17 Day Kickstart Diet when nut butters and yogurt are approved.
If you want to use this smoothie recipe in the earlier phases, there are a few changes you’ll need to make in order to make this recipe compliant.
I have all the foods listed in an organized fashion per phase if you want to check out my 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List.
Changes in 3-Day Scrub and 4-Day Soak Up Phases of the Kickstart Diet
- Use unsweetened coconut, hemp or flax milk (instead of yogurt and almond milk)
- Sunflower or Pumpkin Seed Butter (instead of nut butter)
Now, you technically won’t find collagen powder on any cycle or phase food list for either the 17 Day Diet or the 17 Day Kickstart Diet.
However, collagen is an important protein to help with skin, bones, hair, etc and the doctor does briefly mention this in the back of the Breakthrough Edition of the 17 Day Diet book.
Sometimes you must think outside the cycle and phase food lists and use common sense when it comes to supplementing your food with important nutrition.
Is this Chocolate Collagen Smoothie Recipe Keto Friendly?
Yes! Make sure you use full-fat ingredients and only use berries as they contain the least amount of sugar. Blueberries will likely be your best option as they are lower in sugar. Sorry, no banana for you!
At the end of the day, you must figure out whether or not your own personal macros will allow for this smoothie written as-is, or if a few changes need to be made.
What I love about the Codeage Chocolate Collagen Powder featured in this recipe is that is that the chocolate collagen is low in sugar making it ideal for the Keto Diet!
Other Low Sugar Smoothie Recipes
If you’re a big fan of smoothies, here are a few other recipes to check out!
- Lavender Haze Superfood Smoothie
- Blueberries and Cream Green Smoothie
- Summer Peach Crisp Smoothie a la Mode
- Busy Bee’s Superfood Smoothie Recipe
- Grape and Lime Green Smoothie
- How to Create a Custom Smoothie
- Addicted Green Smoothie Recipe
Transitional Day Fast Smoothie Recipes for the 17 Day Diet
In case you didn’t know, the 17 Day Diet has a Transitional Day Fast that was published as part of the Breakthrough Edition.
This Transitional Day Fast includes three smoothies for your entire day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can read more about the Transitional Day Fast if you’re not aware of it. Here are the three smoothies:
- Breakfast Smoothie for the 17 Day Diet
- Lunch Smoothie for the 17 Day Diet
- Dinner Smoothie for the 17 Day Diet
Lean Granola For A Chocolate Collagen Smoothie
If want a little crunch to your chocolate collagen smoothie, use lean granola! Top your smoothie with my Healthy Homemade Granola for a little added healthy fat and added crunch! It will give your smoothie that extra something special!
Other Low Carb Breakfast Recipes
If you enjoy this Strawberry, Peanut Butter & Chocolate Collagen Smoothie recipe and are looking for more low carb breakfast ideas with recipes for the 17 Day Diet that are not smoothies, here are a few other healthy breakfast recipes you may want to try:
- Veggie Egg Cups
- Chicken Apple Sausage
- Dr. Mike’s Power Cookie for the 17 Day Diet
- Greek Egg Cups
- Spinach & Mushroom Egg Bites
- Skillet Garden Eggs
- Asparagus and Eggs for the 17 Day Diet
- Waffle Omelettes
- Healthy Homemade Granola
- Breakfast Chia Pudding
If you enjoy this Strawberry, Peanut Butter & Chocolate Collagen Smoothie, then please come back and review the recipe card below. If you’re on social media, makes sure you tag me @17ddblog so I can see your chocolatey smoothie!
- 1 Cup Plain Yogurt
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (or your favorite nut or seed milk)
- 1 Cup Frozen or Fresh Strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon No Sugar Added Peanut or Almond Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Flax or Chia Seed (optional for added fiber and healthy fat)
- 1 Scoop Codeage Chocolate Collagen Protein Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (optional if you want this smoothie extra chocolaty!)
- Add ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Adjust the amount of almond milk you use depending on how thick your plain yogurt is and how juicy your fruit is.
17 Day Diet - Cycle 3 (see post for earlier cycles)
17 Day Kickstart Diet - 10-Day Stabilize Phase (see post for earlier phases)
Keto Diet - see post for guidelines
Make ahead of time and freeze for future use:
This smoothie can be made ahead of time and frozen flat in a sealable bag. If you choose to prep ahead of time, remove from the freezer and allow it to defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)