The great thing about this Chicken and Broccoli Bake recipe is that it’s one meal your entire family will love!
So if you’re the only one in your family on the 17 Day Diet, this is a dinner your family can get behind!
This recipe I’ve featured in a few past Challenges as well as my Yummy! recipe book for Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet.
This version is from my book (the Challenge version is slightly different, but I like this one better, plus it’s easier to make).
This is a super easy dinner to make, and more than likely, you’ll have the ingredients on hand if you’re looking for something to prepare last minute for dinner.
Simple Ingredients for the Chicken and Broccoli Bake Recipe
This Chicken and Broccoli Bake recipe features REALLY simple ingredients.
I don’t think recipes need to be complicated and feature ingredients that are difficult to find.
Chances are, you have all the ingredients already and you just need to get going making this yummy dish!
Your main protein will be diced chicken breast. If you’re not on the 17 Day Diet, you can certainly use dark meat if you prefer.
If you prefer to use ground meat, either ground chicken or turkey would work in this recipe.
If you’re using diced chicken breast, you’ll dice the chicken first and cook it in a large skillet.
If the name of this dish hasn’t clued you in by now for the second main ingredient, then I don’t know what will!
Broccoli is our main vegetable in this Chicken and Broccoli Bake recipe.
It’s best if you can use fresh broccoli so you can control the doneness prior to baking it off so you don’t end up with a mushy mess! However, frozen broccoli will work, too.
We’ll cook the broccoli by steaming or boiling before we put the dish into the oven for a final bake off.
Garlic and Onion
This Chicken and Broccoli Bake uses garlic, onion and other seasonings such as thyme, parsley and onion powder.
This recipe is pretty basic, so we wan to make sure the flavor is kicked up a notch or two.
Garlic and onion are a few ways to accomplish this, so don’t skip these ingredients!
You can use fresh garlic cloves or minced garlic from a jar – it doesn’t matter much here.
As far as onions go, this recipe calls for a white onion, but you can certainly use your favorite yellow onion or shallots for a milder flavor.
This recipe calls for both mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Don’t skip these as they are the star of the recipe!
If you’re on the 17 Day Diet and wonder if cheese is allowed, keep reading as I answer this question in the next section!
Can I Have Cheese on the 17 Day Diet?
As you can see from the recipe ingredients mentioned above, this Chicken and Broccoli Bake recipe does contain cheese.
So you might be asking, “I thought cheese wasn’t allowed on the 17 Day Diet?”
The answer might surprise you – technically, non-fat cheese is listed on the 17 Day Diet Cycle 1 Food List under the condiment section to be used in moderation.
Photo above courtesy of Cari G. Follow Cari on Instagram.
Non Fat vs Full or Lower Fat Cheese
My personal philosophy regarding anything non fat is this: I’d rather skip non-fat foods because of all the added ingredient put back in to make it taste better.
Ingredients such as sodium, sugar and other artificial flavorings are almost always found in non-fat food items.
What happens when you strip the fat from a food?
You take away the flavor! This is why you see a lot added ingredients in non-fat foods.
I think less of a full or lower fat version is always best for your health. I go into more detail about Cheese on the 17 Day Diet.
This recipe may seem to have a lot of cheese, but once you split into four servings, it’s not too much!
So if you’re a bit afraid of the cup and a half of cheese in this recipe, remember it’s for four servings!
As long as you don’t eat the entire dish by yourself, you’re going to be just fine!
Plus, this recipe does contain a good amount of lean proteins and fiber-filled broccoli, so it’s a healthy dish designed to help you lose weight.
It’s also family friendly, so you can make this dish for your kids or spouse and they will love it!
Photo above courtesy of Cari G. Follow Cari on Instagram.
Other Low Carb Cheesy Recipes
If you love the idea of Broccoli and Cheese and losing weight at the same time, you might want to check out these other low carb recipes for the 17 Day Diet that feature our favorite condiment, cheese:
- Green Chili Chicken Enchilada with Cauliflower
- Chicken Lombardy
- Chicken Feta Spinach Patties
- Broiled Tilapia with Parmesan
Low Carb Cheese-Free Recipes
If you’re needing to take a break from cheese for a bit, here are a few low carb recipes you might want to try:
- Egg Roll in a Bowl a la Judy
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Chicken Cabbage & Broccoli Stir Fry
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki with Yogurt Sauce
If you make this recipe, please come back to review the recipe in the card below. Plus if you’re on social media, make sure you tag me @17ddblog so I can see your pretty creation!
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large broccoli heads, florets removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook until slightly browned and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and any juice from the skillet and add to a bowl.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Drain.
- Using the same skillet from the chicken, heat the remaining 2 Tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and cook for 5-8 minutes or until the onion is very soft and translucent.
- Whisk in the broth to the onion mixture and stir until it thickens, about 2 minutes. Add the thyme, parsley and onion powder.
- Stir the cooked chicken, the broccoli florets into the mix and toss to combine.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the foil and broil until the cheese is lightly brown, about 1-2 minutes.
Approved all cycles.
If it's too hot to use your oven, consider skipping the baking portion, turn your stove top to low, sprinkle with cheese and cover. Cook on low for 10 to 15 minutes.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. As you know, your health & wellness is a life-long journey and food is one piece of the puzzle. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, helping you with your anti-aging & skincare needs over at my Avon store (come say hi!!), and helping you achieve better health through nature with my other love, Busy Bee’s Wellness Co.